2 tbsp sesame seeds
2 tbsp dried oregano
2 tbsp marjoram
2 tbsp ground cumin
2 tbsp coriander
2 tsp salt
2 tsp ground black pepper
2 tsp dried thyme
- Place sesame seeds into mixing bowl and dry roast 3 min/Varoma/speed 1.
- Add all remaining ingredients and blend 10 sec/speed 8. Store and use as required. See tips below.
- Store Za’atar in a sealed small glass jar for up to 6 months.
- We will make a middle Eastern flat bread next week where the Za’atar will be sprinkled over the bread and baked.
- Mix the Za’atar with olive oil to form a paste or with hummus to serve as a dip or sprinkle liberally over vegetables, fish or chicken before cooking.
- Replace the marjoram with sumac (a bush native to the Middle East which produces deep red berries. It has a tangy lemon flavor), and omit the coriander for a slightly different flavor.
- Many commercial Za’atar seasonings are bulked up with roasted flour so check labels for any food intolerant ingredients.