6 spring onions/shallots (approx. 100 g), trimmed and cut into quarters
1 garlic clove
¼ tsp mustard powder
¼ tsp ground turmeric
¼ tsp ground cumin
¼ tsp dried thyme
¼ tsp salt, plus extra to serve
¼ tsp ground black pepper, plus extra to serve
1 tbsb olive oil
2 tbsp water
70 g red capsicum, deseeded and cut into pieces (1 cm)
70 g fresh corn kernels (see Tips)
350 g firm tofu, cut into cubes (2cm)
39 g fresh baby spinach leaves, cut or torn into pieces
6 sprigs fresh chives, cut into thin slices
20 g lemon juice, to taste
4 slices rye bread, toasted, to serve
1 avocado, flesh only, cut into slices to serve
- Place spring onions/shallots and garlic into mixing bowl and chop 3 sec/speed 7. Scrape down the sides of mixing bowl with spatula.
- Add mustard powder, turmeric, cumin, thyme, salt, pepper, oil and water and cook 3 min/100°C/speed 1.
- Add capsicum, corn and tofu and cook 4 min/80°C/reverse/speed 1.
- Add spinach, chives and lemon juice. Mix well using spatula and cook 2 min/80°C/speed spoon.
- Serve immediately on rye toast with avocado slices and season with extra salt and pepper.
- You can replace fresh corn with thawed frozen corn
- Include this recipe as part of a big breakfast, served with Baked Beans (pg 34, Vegetarian Kitchen), and/or Breakfast sausages (page 36, Vegetarian Kitchen)
- This dish is a powerhouse of nutrition, providing iron, zinc, calcium, protein and vitamin C to aid iron absorption
- This recipe is Vegan friendly and nut free