25 g fresh ginger
300 g sugar
1000 g water
1000 g apples
80 g blanched almonds
120 g butter, cut in pieces
180 g cake flour
40 g sugar
50 g water
1 pinch of salt
10 g ginger
150 g sugar
1 tbsp water
A few drops of lemon juice
1 tbsp flaked almonds for garnishing
1 cake pan, 26 cm diameter
- Put the ginger and sugar in your mixing bowl. Mix 10 sec/Speed 8.
- Add water and cook 10 min/120°C/Speed 1. In the meantime, peel the apples, remove the core and cut into 4 pieces.
- Place the apples in the mixing bowl with the syrup, close with the lid and leave to marinate for 10 min.
- Strain the apple pieces and leave to cool down. Wash and dry the mixing bowl and lid.
- Grind the almonds 10 sec/Speed 6.
- Add the butter, flour, sugar, water and salt. Mix 20 sec/Speed 4, and 10 sec/reverse/Speed 2 to remove the dough from the mixing bowl.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and put in cling wrap. Keep in the fridge for 20 min.
- Peel the ginger and grate it with a microplane or zester.
- Add the sugar, the water, and the lemon juice in a sauce pan. Warm up until you have a light blond caramel. It takes 6 to 8 min.
- Add the grated ginger. Pour the light blond caramel in the cake pan and place the apples on top.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Roll out the dough on a silpat mat or on a table dusted with flour.
- Cut a disc having the same diameter as your cake pan. Prick the disc with a fork and fold in 2.
- Put the dough over the apples with the small holes on the apple side. Using a wooden spoon, fit the dough into the cake pan.
- Put in the oven and bake for 35 min; leave to cool down 10 min before turning it around on your serving dish.
- Sprinkle with the flaked almonds and serve immediately.
- Serve with clotted cream or a home-made vanilla ice cream