50 g walnuts, plus extra for topping
100 g plain flour
100 g butter, chilled and cut into cubes
50 g Rapadura (unrefined cane) Sugar
2 apples, cores removed, and cut into quarters
20 g butter
½ tsp ground cinnamon
Flaked coconut, to serve (optional)
2 ramekins (8cm)
- Place walnuts into mixing bowl and chop 4 sec/speed 9. Transfer into a bowl and set aside.
- Place flour and butter into mixing bowl and chop Turbo/1 sec/2-3 times, or until a breadcrumb consistency is achieved.
- Add Rapadura sugar and reserved chopped walnuts and mix 3 sec/speed 3. Place a bowl onto mixing bowl lid and weight 60-80 g of the crumble mixture into it. Set aside for topping. Store remaining crumble mixture in a freezable container and place into freezer for future use.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Place apples into mixing bowl and chop 4 sec/speed 5. Scrape down sides of mixing bowl with spatula.
- Add butter and cinnamon and cook 5 min/100°C/reverse/speed spoon.
- Transfer apple mixture into 2 ramekins (8cm) and top with reserved crumble mixture. Sprinkle with extra walnuts and coconut (optional).
- Bake for 15-20 minutes (180°C) or until topping is golden. Serve warm.
- You can substitute Rapadura sugar for light brown sugar in this recipe.
- You can substitute flaked coconut for rolled oats in this recipe.
- This crumble is delicious served with a side of custard (pg. 141 Cooking for You and Me), greek yoghurt or cream.
- Leftover stewed apple filling can be stored in the refrigerator and served with cloudy apple cider jelly (pg. 124, Cooking for You and Me) and a dollop of mascarpone cheese as a quick summer dessert.
- Sprinkle leftover walnut crumble over yoghurt or bircher muesli or use in place of the toasted almonds in coconut and quinoa porridge with toasted almonds for a delicious breakfast (pg. 30, Cooking for You and Me)
- Crumble and stewed apple mixture can be made ahead of time, stored in refrigerator and assembled prior to baking.
- Experiment with different flavours by substituting one of the apples with 100 g pear or 100 g fresh seasonal berries.