700 g water
2 large carrots, julienned
1 head broccoli, broken into florets
1 small head cauliflower, broken into florets
200 g mini corn
300 g mushrooms, sliced
200 g mange tout or sugar-snap peas
1 red capsicum, sliced in strips
Spring onions, finely chopped, to garnish
40 g toasted cashew nuts to garnish, optional
Seasoning to taste, optional
- Weigh water into TM bowl. Place carrots and broccoli into simmering basket making sure that the basket is only full enough to enable the bowl lid to fit easily and not to compact the vegetables into the basket. Steam must be able to make its way through the broccoli and carrots up to the other vegetables.
- Place cauliflower and mini corn in Varoma dish and mushrooms, peas and capsicum in Varoma tray. Again, ensure they are not too compact so the steam can travel upwards.
- Position Varoma and steam 20 min/Varoma/speed 1 or until vegetables are cooked to your preference.
- Arrange vegetables on a serving platter or in a large bowl. Drizzle with the Thai sauce from last week’s recipe of the week and garnish with spring onions and toasted cashew nuts.
- Serve as a main for a vegan dish or as a side with steamed chicken slices.
- Use fresh vegetables available and in season, always keeping the most firm and dense vegetables nearer the steaming water.
- Replace broccoli for sliced green beans or use a mixture of broccoli and beans.
- Use less vegetables and steam chicken cut into strips in the Varoma tray with the vegetables in the Varoma dish.
- Sprinkle lightly toasted sesame seeds over the chicken when serving.
- For vegans or vegetarians, add sliced Tofu or extra cashew nuts.
Thank you to Carmel Nickiforou in Cape Town who found this recipe for us to adapt, and for your continued input into the Thermomix team.