50 g almonds
50 g walnuts
110 g sultanas
170 g glace cherries, halved
40 g candied peel
75 g crystallised ginger, roughly chopped
A pinch salt
230 g plain flour
100 g sugar
200 g butter
5g vanilla essence
30 g brandy
Apricot jam, sieved for brushing
500 g marzipan
Easter eggs for decorating (optional)
- Place nuts in TM bowl and chop 2 sec/speed 4, set aside in a large bowl.
- Add fruit, peel, ginger, salt and flour to the bowl with nuts and combine until everything is coated with the flour.
- Place sugar into a clean, dry TM bowl and mill 10 sec/speed 9.
- Add butter and melt 30 sec/90°C/speed 1, then mix 1 min/speed 3.
- While mixing on speed 3, add eggs one at a time through bowl lid.
- Add vanilla, brandy and floury fruit & nut mix, and combine 20 sec/speed 3.
- Pour into a lined 20 cm diameter cake tin and bake for 1 hour on 150°C, then for a another 30 min on 140°C or until cooked.
- Allow the cake to cool before storing in a tin. Decorate the next day.
- Brush the cake with the sieved apricot jam.
- Roll out the marzipan, cutting it to fit the top of the cake. Decorate the edges or the middle of the cake with 11 marzipan eggs. Sometimes a larger 12th ball is placed in the centre depending on tradition.
- Decorate the cake with Easter eggs or bunnies (optional).
• When decorating, use food colouring to make different coloured marzipan eggs
This recipe has been adapted from Tanja Ruehl’s Simnel Cake recipe from the Australian Recipe Community.