320 g water
30 g olive oil
11 g instant yeast (1 sachet)
500 g flour
1 tsp fine salt
100 g onions, quartered
1 garlic clove
20 g olive oil
600 g minced lamb
50 g toasted pine nuts
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp fine salt
Pepper, freshly ground to taste
100 g water
4 tsp sesame seeds
250 g natural yoghurt
olive oil for brushing
1 tbsp sumac
½ bunch fresh coriander, leaves only
- Place water, olive oil and yeast in the mixing bowl and mix 1 min/37ºC /speed 3, then add the flour and salt and knead 1 min/Dough function. Transfer the dough into a lightly oiled bowl and leave to rise until almost doubled in size (approx. 1 hour). Clean the mixing bowl.
- Tip dough out on to a work surface and using lightly floured hands, roll it into a long sausage, then divide into 8 equal pieces.
- Shape each piece into a smooth ball, cover with a tea towel and set aside to rest while making the filling.
- Place the onions, garlic and olive oil in the mixing bowl and chop 5 sec/speed 5, then cook 5 min/120ºC/speed soft.
- Add lamb, pine nuts, cinnamon, salt and pepper and mix 20 sec/Reverse/speed soft.
- Preheat oven to 200ºC and line a large baking tray with baking paper or a silicon mat.
- With lightly floured hands, working with one ball at a time, roll dough ball out to form a long oval. Roll across the middle to make it slightly wider without loosing the oval shape (approx.23cmX13cm)
- Place lamb filling down the center of each oval of dough, flattening it out a little, leaving 3-4 cm at each end.
- Fold the edges in, leaving 4 cm uncovered in the centre.
- Pinch each short end together and twist, so the dough resembles a small boat. Repeat with remaining balls of dough.
- Transfer pides to prepared baking tray. Dampen dough edges with water and scatter with sesame seeds. Leave to rest for 30 minutes.
- Spoon 2 tsp yoghurt on top of each pide, then bake 15-20 minutes in preheated oven, until puffed and golden.
- Remove from oven, brush with olive oil and sprinkle with sumac and coriander leaves and serve.
• For a vegetarian option, replace the lamb mince with a similar weight of cooked spinach mixed with ricotta cheese
This recipe is part of a Lunchbox collection provided by Anthie Petrou at Thermomix UAE. The recipes have all been adapted from Cookidoo UK, Australia and Steaming Hot cookbook