200 g red split lentils
500 g water
120 g Parmesan cheese, cut into pieces
400 g aubergines
50 g olive oil
200 g onions, cut into halves
3 garlic cloves
1 pepper, green or red, cut into pieces (approx 150 g)
400g tomatoes, canned, including liquid
120g red wine
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 tsp ground ginger
1-2 tsp salt, to taste
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
40 g Butter, plus extra for greasing
500 g milk
40 g flour
Casserole dish (20 cm X 30 cm X 6 cm)
- Place red split lentils and 500 g water into a bowl and soak for 1 hour.
- Place Parmesan cheese into mixing bowl and grate 10 sec/speed 10. Transfer into a bowl and set aside.
- Cut aubergines into slices (1 cm thick) and place into Varoma dish. Make sure that some holes in the Varoma dish remain unobstructed so that steam passes through.
- Place olive oil, onions, garlic cloves and green or red pepper into mixing bowl and chop 5 sec/speed 5.
- Add tomatoes and chop 2 sec/speed 5.
- Add red wine, oregano, ginger, salt and black pepper into mixing bowl. Place Varoma into position and steam 20 min/Varoma/reverse/speed 1. Set Varoma aside.
- Add drained lentils and cook 8 min/100°C/reverse/speed 2. Meanwhile preheat oven to 200°C and grease a casserole dish. Arrange all aubergine slices in casserole dish and cover them with lentil mixture. No need to clean mixing bowl.
- Place butter, milk and flour into mixing bowl and cook 8 min/90°C/speed 4.
- Add 60 g reserved grated Parmesan cheese to sauce and mix 5 sec/speed 4. Cover lentil layer with sauce and sprinkle with remaining grated Parmesan cheese. Bake moussaka for 30 minutes (200°C). Cut moussaka into squares and serve hot.
- Instead of soaked red lentils you can use pre-cooked brown lentils.
Per portion: energy 1917 KJ. Protein 21 g/Carbs 33 g/Fat 25 g
Preparation time: active 25 minutes. Total 2 h 20 min
NB: Suitable for both TM5 and TM31