450 g lukewarm water
1 tbsp dried instant yeast or 40 g fresh yeast
2 ½ tsp sea salt
750 g baker’s flour
100 g olive oil
Approx. 125 g of herb and garlic butter
- Grease a 24 cm cake tin and set aside
- Place water, yeast, flour, oil and salt into the mixing bowl and mix 6 sec/speed 6, then knead 2 min/knead.
- Transfer dough into a bowl and cover with cling wrap. Leave in a warm area to prove for 30 minutes, or until doubled in size. Preheat oven to 180 °C.
- Knock down dough and roll into a large 5 cm thick rectangle. Dust with a little flour to prevent butter from sliding. Spread herb butter over dough. Using a butter knife, cut into 3 – 4 cm wide strips. Fold each strip into a concertina pattern and place, cut side up, into a prepared cake tin until all strips are pressed together. Allow to prove for a further 10 minutes.
- Bake 40 – 45 minutes, or until golden. Remove from tin and transfer to a wire rack. Serve either warm or cold.
- For a stronger garlic flavour, add an additional garlic clove in your herb butter.
- If using a spring-form tin, place tin onto a baking tray before baking in the oven to prevent drips.
- This is an ideal bread to share at a braai or picnic .