380 g cake flour
1 tbsp ground ginger
1 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
100 g brown sugar
130 g butter
130 g golden syrup
1 pinch salt
1 egg yolk
250 g white sugar
1 egg white
1 – 2 tsp lemon juice, to taste
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a baking tray with backing paper and set aside.
- Place all ingredients into mixing bowl and mix 12 sec/speed 6, then knead 50 sec/knead.
- Transfer gingerbread mixture onto a lightly floured Thermomat or work suface, and shape into a smooth ball. Transfer mixture into a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and place into refrigerator for 30 minutes to chill.
- Place chilled gingerbread mixture between 2 sheets of baking paper and roll out to a 4mm thickness. Remove top layer of baking paper, then using a cookie cutter, cut out desired shapes (eg. gingerbread people, Christmas trees).
- Place gingerbread shapes onto prepared baking tray and bake for 10 minutes (180°C) until lightly golden. Allow to cool slightly, then transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool completely. Decorate shapes as desired, then serve or store in an airtight container.
- Place sugar into mixing bowl and mill 30 sec/speed 9.
- Add all remaining ingredients and mix 5 sec/speed 7.
- Add food colouring if desired.
- Use in a piping bag to decorate gingerbread biscuits.
• This recipe produces 12–18 gingerbread biscuits, depending on your cookie cutter size.