300 g desiccated coconut
800 g filtered water
100 g coconut oil, room temperature or melted
¼ tsp Xanthan gum
- Place desiccated or shredded coconut into mixing bowl. Mill 20 sec/speed 9.
- Add water and blend 1 min/speed 9. Strain by lining the simmering basket with a nut milk bag (see tip below) into a large jug squeezing hard to extract all liquid. Set aside both the milk and the used coconut.
- Place coconut milk back into mixing bowl, add Xanthan gum and warm 5 min/37°C/speed 5 while very slowly pouring the coconut oil onto mixing bowl lid, letting it drizzle around the measuring cup into mixing bowl. Then blend 30 sec/speed 8.
- Transfer into a separate large jug or bowl, cover and store in refrigerator until set (approx 4 hours).
- Just before using, a blend 30 sec/speed 6. Use as needed.
- To make an effective “nut milk bag” use a new blue disposable washing up cloth, usually available in a roll. You may then discard the cloth afterwards.
- Store in refrigerator for 3-4 days.
- Makes approx 600 g coconut milk. Use for a dairy free diet.
- The coconut cream will separate as it sets, so be sure to blend it before using.
- Freeze coconut cream in ice cube trays and use it to make dairy free ice creams, smoothies or coconut yoghurt.
- For coconut flour, take the left over coconut pulp, spread it evenly on a baking sheet. Leave to dry for a few days or place in a dehydrator. Once dry, mill 10 sec/speed 9. Store and use as required for gluten free baking.
Adapted from Quirky Cooking