Marinated Chicken Skewers
1 ½ salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground sweet paprika
1 tsp ground allspice (see tip)
450 g chicken breast fillets, skinless, cut in long thin strips (0.5 cm thick, 2 cm wide)
6 – 8 cherry tomatoes (optional)
50 g onions
60 g tomato purée (concentrated) or ketchup
4 – 6 sprigs fresh parsley, leaves only
80 g water
20 g vinegar
50 g cherry tomatoes, cut in halves
15 g wine vinegar
20 g olive oil
½ tsp salt
1 pinch freshly ground black pepper (optional)
2-3 sprigs fresh parsley, leaves only
Steamed chicken skewers, cumin rice and warm vegetable salad
200 g basmati rice
1700 g water
120 g carrots, cut in pieces
1 tsp cumin seeds (optional)
1 ½ tsp salt
600 g mixed vegetables (e.g. peppers, aubergines, courgettes, cauliflower, broccoli, and asparagus) cut in pieces (3cm)
100 g green lettuce leaves, for serving (optional)
Wooden skewers (approx. 18cm long)
Marinated Chicken Skewers
- Place salt, cinnamon, sweet paprika and ground allspice in mixing bowl and dry-roast without measuring cup 5 min/Varoma/speed spoon. Meanwhile thread chicken strips on skewers (approx. 18 cm, see tip), keeping the meat quite loose and finish by threading a cherry tomato on each skewer. Transfer them to a plate and set aside.
- Add onions, tomato purée, parsley, water and vinegar to mixing bowl and chop 10 sec/speed 5. Transfer marinade to the plate with the skewers and roll them in the marinade. Cover and transfer to refrigerator to marinate for minimum 1 hour (see tip). Rinse mixing bowl.
- Place tomatoes, vinegar, olive oil, salt black pepper and parsley in mixing bowl and mix 10 sec/speed 6. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
Steamed Chicken Skewers, cumin rice and warm vegetable salad
- Insert simmering basket and weigh basmati rice into it. Add 500 g water and wash the rice 30 sec/speed 7. Remove simmering basket using spatula and empty mixing bowl.
- Place carrots in mixing bowl and chop 5 sec/speed 4.5. Transfer to simmering basket with rice, add cumin seeds and mix well using spatula.
- Place 1200 g water and salt in mixing bowl and insert simmering basket. Set Varoma dish in position and arrange mixed vegetables in it. Line Varoma tray with baking paper and place marinated chicken skewers onto it. Insert Varoma tray in Varoma Dish, close Varoma and steam 20 min/Varoma/speed 1. Set Varoma aside and remove simmering basket using spatula. Transfer rice to a serving bowl, mix with fork, cover and set aside.
- Rearrange skewers in Varoma tray to help them cook evenly, set Varoma back in position and cook a further 10 min/Varoma/Speed 1. Meanwhile line a serving dish with lettuce leaves.
- Arrange chicken skewers on lettuce leaves, transfer steam vegetables to a serving bowl and dress with the reserved dressing. Serve chicken skewers and rice hot, with warm vegetable salad on the side.
• Ground allspice can be placed with a mixture of equal parts ground cinnamon, ground cloves and ground nutmeg.
• Long skewers can be cut to fit the Varoma tray.
• For a stronger flavour marinate the chicken in step 2 for a few hours or overnight.
• For a vegetarian version of this dish, replace chicken with halloumi cheese, cut in cubes (2cm). Follow the recipe excluding the extra cooking time in step 7. For a spicier dish, add ½ 1 tsp of chilli sauce to the marinade ingredients.