500 g self-raising flour
150 g sugar
1 tsp salt
60 g desiccated coconut (optional)
130 g butter, cut into small pieces
250 g buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla essence
- Preheat Oven to 180°C. Grease 25×10-cm loaf tin.
- Mix flour, sugar, salt and coconut 5 sec/speed 4.
- Add butter. Mix 10 sec/speed 6.
- Add buttermilk, egg and vanilla. Mix 20 sec/speed 5.
- Press into loaf pan and bake for 1 hour until cooked.
- Turn out and cool completely.
- Cut into slices. Place on tray in oven and dry out either 4 hours at 100°C, or overnight at 50°C. Once dried out completely, cool and then store.
- Keeps up to 2 weeks in a sealed container.
- Replace vanilla essence with almond essence.
- Add grated orange zest to the flour.