2 tbsp olive oil
200-250 g onions, thinly sliced
800 g beef meat, cubed (2-3 cm) (preferably top rump, chuck, collar or cheek)
150 g streaky bacon, cut into strips
3 garlic cloves
400 g carrots, sliced
250 g red wine, preferably Burgundy, or any full- bodied red wine
250 g water
1 tsp salt (adjust to taste)
2 pinches black pepper, ground (adjust to taste)
1 bouquet garni (bay leaf, thyme and parsley)
200 g button mushrooms, sliced
2 tsp corn flour (starch) (optional)
- Place oil, onions, beef and bacon into a non-stick frying pan and brown for 5 mins.
- Place garlic into mixing bowl and chop 5 sec/speed 5. Scrape down sides of mixing bowl with spatula.
- Add browned meat and onions, carrots, wine, water, salt, pepper and bouquet garni.
Cook 20 min/100°C/reverse/speed 1.
- Add mushrooms and cook a further 20 min/100°C/reverse/speed 1.
- Check consistency of sauce. If you prefer it thicker, add corn flour and cook a further 4 min/reverse/speed 2.
- Serve this dish as it is, or accompanied with pasta, potatoes or rice.
- You can prepare the dish the day before. This gives the flavors a chance to develop and mature overnight.