250g rindless smoked streaky bacon, chopped
2 medium onions, peeled and quartered
10g olive oil
100g treacle sugar
1 sprig fresh thyme
80g white vinegar
1tsp smoked paprika
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
½ tsp salt
1 x 10g instant dried yeast
2 Tblsp sugar
250g milk, warmed slightly
8 – 10 wooden skewers, soaked in water.
Method – Bacon jam
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium-high temperature, stirring occasionally, until fat is rendered and bacon is lightly browned, not crispy. Strain bacon.
- While bacon is cooking, Place onion in TM bowl. Chop 5 sec/speed 5. Add oil. Sauté 7 min/100˚C/speed 1.
- Add the sugar, thyme, vinegar, paprika and black pepper. Cook 2 min/100˚C/speed 1.
- Add drained bacon to the TM bowl. Cook 60 min/90˚C/spoon speed. Transfer to a sterilized bottle, cool, then refrigerate.
Method – Stokbrood
- Place flour, salt and butter into TM bowl. Mix 5 sec/speed 5.
- Add yeast, sugar and warmed milk. Mix 5 sec/speed 7. Then knead the dough 2 min/knead.
- Place dough into lightly oiled bowl. Cover and leave in a warm place until double in size.
- Knock down the dough then roll out on a floured surface into a 1cm thick square. Using a sharp knife, cut 8 – 10 x 5cm strips of dough and wrap a strip of dough around a skewer, leaving enough skewer visible to hold safely over a fire. Repeat with the remaining pieces.
- Place the bread onto a grid over hot coals but not in the flames. When lightly browned, turn the stokbroods to cook further until all sides are golden brown. Once cooked, brush with melted butter and serve with bacon jam.
Thank you Jenny Ruinaard for this recipe. Jenny , one of our Team Leaders in Johannesburg, is an enthusiastic cook and very keen on making absolutely everything in the Thermomix. She loves entertaining and especially enjoys the delight on her friend’s faces when they try something wonderful that she has made.