140 g sugar
30 g butter
35 g apricot jam, smooth
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
190 g milk
1 tsp brown vinegar
140 g cake flour
Pinch of salt
100 g cream
70 g sugar
½ tsp vanilla essence
50 g boiling water
Method – Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 35×20-cm ovenproof dish.
- Place sugar into TM bowl. Mill 15 sec/speed 9.
- Insert Butterfly in bowl and add remaining sponge ingredients.
- Beat 1 min/speed 4. Scrape down sides of bowl once after 30 seconds.
- Place batter in greased dish and bake for 35-40 minutes. Quickly rinse TM bowl.
- About 5 minutes before end of cooking time, place all sauce ingredients into TM bowl. Cook 3 min/100°C/speed 2.
- Immediately pour sauce over hot pudding.
- To make a saucier pudding, double the sauce ingredients. Serve with custard (see page 207 of A South African Odyssey).