300g whipping cream
120g castor sugar
Zest and juice of one orange
6 hot cross buns, halved
40g softened butter
50g chopped walnuts
3 tbsp marmalade
1 tsp vanilla extract
Method Preheat oven to 170°C. Liberally grease an oven proof dish approx. 25 X 30 cm wide and at least 5cm deep.
- Place cream, milk, eggs, sugar and orange zest into TM bowl. Heat 4 min/70°C/speed 2 until just warmed. Meanwhile prepare bun mixture.
- Spread butter over each cut side of the bun. Place in ovenproof dish. Splash over the orange juice onto the buns. Sprinkle raisins and walnuts over the buns and dot with marmalade.
- Once the custard mixture has warmed, add vanilla extract to it and stir 5 sec/speed 4. Pour mixture over buns and leave to absorb for about 10 – 15 minutes. Push the buns down every now and again into the custard.
- Sprinkle liberally with nutmeg.
- Bake for about 45-50 minutes until set.
- Leave to stand 10 minutes before serving. For extra decadence, serve with Greek yoghurt.
- Replace raisins with chocolate chips.
- Splash buns with sherry instead of orange juice.