1 cm piece fresh ginger, peeled
1 garlic clove
½-1 long red chilli, deseed if preferred (optional)
2 duck breasts, skin on
2 tsp Five Spice Powder (see pg 12, Cooking for Me and You)
1 pinch sea salt, to taste
1 pinch ground black pepper, to taste
500 g water
2 tsp vegetable stock paste (see Tips)
2 tbsb soy sauce
100 g Asian greens, cut into pieces
50 g broccolini, cut into thirds
2 tbsp honey
2 tsp sesame oil
4 fresh mushrooms, cut into slices
Thermal serving bowl or other large bowl
Turner / fish slice
Recipe for One
Cook both duck breasts and use the leftovers in soup, noodles or salad.
- Place ginger, garlic and chilli (optional) into mixing bowl and chop 3 sec/speed 7. Transfer into a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Using a sharp knife, score duck skin in a criss-cross pattern. Rub duck with Five Spice Powder, salt and pepper, then place into the Varoma dish skin-side down. Place water, stock paste and 1 tablespoon of the soy sauce into mixing bowl. Place Varoma into position and steam 9 min/Varoma/speed 1.
- Insert Varoma tray. Weigh Asian greens and broccolini into Varoma tray and steam 6 min/Varoma/speed 1. Transfer Asian greens and broccolini into a thermal serving bowl or other large bowl. Transfer steaming liquid into a separate bowl and set aside. Pat duck dry with paper towel.
- Place a small frying pan over high heat without oil. Place duck breast skin-side down into hot pan and press to flatten. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 2-4 minutes or until skin is very crispy and most of the fat has cooked off. Turn duck over and cook for a further 1-2 minutes. Transfer duck, skin-side up, into a thermal serving bowl or other large bowl to rest.
- Drain ¾ of the fat from the frying pan, leaving ¼ in the pan to create a reduction. Return frying pan to high heat and de-glaze by adding honey, 80 g of the reserved steaming liquid and remaining 1 tablespoon soy sauce. Allow to reduce for a few minutes, then transfer to a small bowl and set aside..
- Place sesame oil and reserved garlic and ginger mixture into mixing bowl and heat 1 min/100°C/reverse/speed 1.
- Add mushrooms and cook 5 min/100°C/reverse/speed 1.
- Add reserved Asian greens and broccolini and combine 10 sec/reverse/speed 2. Transfer into simmering basket and allow to drain.
- Thinly slice duck breast diagonally across the grain and serve immediately with vegetables and a drizzle of the reserved honey glaze.
- Substitute soy sauce with tamari to make this recipe gluten free. Always read the labels of your products to ensure no wheat or gluten has been used as a part of the production process.
- Place any uncooked duck breast into the refrigerator and use as a substitute to the pork in Pork San Choy Bau (see pg 54, Cooking for You and Me)
- Please refer to the Basic Cookbook or Everyday Cookbook for the Vegetable stock paste recipe.
Recipe for One
- Cook both duck breasts and use the leftovers in soup, noodles or salad.