120 g milk
30 g sugar
10 g butter, plus extra for greasing
20 g fresh yeast, crumbled, or 2 tsp dried instant yeast (8 g)
280 g flour
¼ tsp salt
16 pieces chocolate (approx. 100 g)
500 g water
600 g cherries, pitted, fresh or defrosted
10–15 g cornflour (starch)
30-40 g sugar, to taste
- Place milk, sugar, butter and yeast in mixing bowl and warm 3 min/37°C/speed 2.
- Add flour, salt and egg, and knead 3 min/knead. Meanwhile, grease Varoma dish and tray with butter.
- Divide dough into 16 equal pieces, press each flat and place a chocolate piece in the centre of each. Form dumplings by pinching dough to close it around chocolate pieces. Place 7 dumplings in prepared Varoma dish and 9 in Varoma tray. Allow to rise in covered Varoma in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Place water in mixing bowl, set Varoma in position and steam 20 min/Varoma/Speed 1. Set Varoma aside and keep it covered. Empty mixing bowl whole.
- Place cherries, cornflour and sugar in mixing bowl and blend 15 sec/speed 8.
- Remove measuring cup, set Varoma in position and cook sauce 8 min/100°C/speed 2. Serve dumplings and cherry sauce immediately.
- The texture of the dumplings is best when served warm, as soon as possible after steaming.
- Use your Thermomix as a dough prover for the dumplings: in step 3 add water to mixing bowl, set Varoma with dumplings in position and allow to rise 30 min/45°C/speed 1. Then steam 20 min/Varoma/Speed 1 and proceed with recipe.
- Replace cherries with raspberries or other fruit (e.g. blueberries, peaches, plums, strawberries). Adjust sugar depending on sweetness of fruit.
- Instead of fresh or frozen fruit use 500 g canned fruit, 5–10 g cornflour and 20-30 g sugar.
- Vary the fillings with cherry pralines (e.g. Mon Cheri) or hazelnut-size pieces of marzipan.