1 onion, halved
1 chorizo sausage, chopped
20 g olive oil
2 tsp minced garlic
350 g chicken mince
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp cumin powder
100 g chopped sun-dried tomatoes
1 tbs chicken stock
750 g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
150 g olive oil
300 g cold water
1 egg, for brushing
- Place the onion and chorizo sausage into the Thermomix bowl and finely chop 5 sec/speed 8.
- Add the olive oil and the minced garlic and cook on 2 min/90°C/Reverse/Speed Spoon.
- Add the chicken mince, paprika, cumin and cook 8 min/100°C/Reverse/Speed Spoon.
- Add the chopped sun-dried tomatoes and chicken stock and mix 1 min/100°C/Reverse/Speed Soft.
- Set the mixture aside to cool completely.
- Place the flour, baking powder and salt into a clean and dry Thermomix bowl and set the machine to 1 min 30 sec/knead. While the machine is kneading, slowly add the olive oil through the hole in the lid. Continue mixing until the dough resembles crumbs.
- Set for 1 minute/knead while adding the water through the hole.
- Place the dough onto a lightly floured board and knead into a ball. Set aside for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200°C (fan-forced).
- Roll the pastry out until it’s 2mm thick. Cut out 12cm diameter circles and set aside.
- Place a heaped tablespoon of the filling into the middle of one of the pastry circles.
- Brush the visible pastry around the edges with water.
- Fold the pastry over to make a half-circle shape. Use a fork to crimp the edges together.
- Place onto a flat baking tray and continue with the remaining pastry circles and mixture.
- Brush the pastry with a lightly beaten egg, then bake for 20 minutes or until golden.
- Serve with chutney, guacamole or spicy sauce.
• It’s incredibly easy to change the filling for this recipe. Use only veg and potato for a meat free variation, or use beef or bacon and cheese to change the flavours
• While traditionally a meat pie, you could fill your empanada with fruit or sweet filling of your choice
This recipe comes from the Chicken and Chorizo Empanada by Bake Play Smile – bakeplaysmile.com/chorizo-chicken-empanadas